The Milkweed Mercantile, a for-profit business, and Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage (a non- profit Land Trust where the business is located) are committed to demonstrating ecological sustainability.
Members of Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage agree to live by six ecological principles. These are:
- Renewable energy – All power used at Dancing Rabbit is from renewable and/or sustainable sources
- No personal ownership of cars – 70 adults share 3 cars, a Ford truck and a tractor in vehicle co-op
- No petroleum – We run 3 of the vehicles on biodiesel, and have done have an all-electric Nissan LEAF
- All building materials are renewable and/or sustainable
- All gardening and agriculture is organic
- Composting – Waste disposal systems reclaim organic and recyclable materials
As members of Dancing Rabbit, Alline, Kurt and the staff are running the Milkweed Mercantile with the same priorities.
The Mission and Goals of the Milkweed Mercantile
The mission of the Mercantile is to provide meaningful work and the demonstration of a life that is sustainable in all ways.
Our goals are to:
- Create right livelihood for ourselves and income opportunities for others at Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage
- Provide a comfortable place for visitors to stay
- Demonstrate the viability and aesthetic beauty of natural and alternative building
- Share what we’ve learned about real solutions for a sustainable life
- Develop and articulate a business model that prioritizes planet and people over profit, and learn the value of ‘enough.’
- Educate and train the next generation
- Sell only products that meet our stringent eco/ethical criteria